Pete Wells' review of Guy Fieri's restaurant in Times Square is titled "As Not Seen on TV" (Nov 13th, www.nytimes.com), so I was expecting a positive review. This guy is probably one of the worst food hosts in the world and, as Nick Carraway said about Gatsby, "it represents everything for which I have an unaffected scorn." He is loud, tasteless, poorly-mannered and encourages unhealthy and excessive eating, something this country does not really need. Also, his palate is as sophisticated as an old ironing board. So, when I started reading, I expected his restaurant to be the opposite. It is not.
Almost resembling Fieri's crudeness and lack of self-awareness, Mr. Wells embarks on a public lashing of this so-called "restaurateur" and the rogue thugs behind the kitchen's door (they should be locked up, by the way). Nothing seems to be edible in this loud, overcrowded, ambitious American dream restaurant. The only decent dishes are stabbed in the back by undesirable, cheap sides, garnishes or sauces. The problem is that everything in "Guy’s American Kitchen & Bar" tastes like Guy.
When this place collapses, the building should be turned into a memorial museum, a museum for the most unhealthy and disgraceful American food ever to exist. And it's kitchen should be visited by chefs from all over the country so that they never forget the suffering of both food and customers in what is clearly a gastronomic Holocaust.
Link to article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
No comments:
Post a Comment